It's time for YOU... [Minneapolis Photography Class/Workshop]

So... earlier in the week, I announed our new addition to the Pitz household.  While we don't officially have him yet, we are still extremely excited to snuggle him up in 2 short weeks!!

Now... on to a new, and hopefully fun, Leah P, initiative!

I can’t tell you how many requests I’ve gotten in the last year to shadow and learn. I must say… that is unbelievably flattering! I also must say… I don’t feel qualified to “teach” photography. If you follow my blog, you know I’m not a photographer by education. I didn’t go to college for photojournalism (although I sometimes wish I had), I didn’t spend years studying the technical aspects of photography. I sort of fell into this world and it has grasped me tight. I surrounded myself, early on, with people that were willing to share, which has shaped my point of view on sharing with you! While my knowledge of photography has grown a million-fold (is that even a word?) since I started this business, I’m still learning every day.



I know many of the technical aspects of how to compose a photo, what to do with light, how to edit my images… and oftentimes, I look at my picture and KNOW that it would be torn apart if given to someone who learned photography from a text book… but, guess what… I don’t care. I intentionally break some of those rules, because I like the image it gives me.



To me, photography is ALL ABOUT telling a story, and if I need to be a rebel and a rule-breaker, so be it! To me, that’s the beauty of this art. It is truly all up to the person looking through the lens to decide just what sort of story they want to tell.

I say all of this for two reasons:


(1) To hopefully encourage you in your art. Only you can decide what YOUR art looks like. I’m happy to help you in any way I can, and  while I do believe taking classes to learn the technical side of photography is something you’ll want to do, I think it’s just a portion of what you need to be successful. You need an eye and a distinct point of view that only you can find.



(2) While I’m not an expert, I have learned from my own mistakes… and let me tell you, I’ve made a lot of them! ;) I’ve loved spending time with those of you who have come to shadow a session, or who have emailed or called for advice or guidance. To me… that is one of the most rewarding pieces of this. I love to see it “click” for you! BUT… it’s been hard for me to keep up with all of those requests and not let my own life and business suffer. SO… I’m hoping I’ve found a solution.

I’m going to offer a summer series. Nothing fancy. Just three small workshops to help those that are interested in learning more to do just that… learn more. Each workshop will cover different topics and also include time to practice on a model, as well as exercises for you to do at home. My vision for this is to create a small group of individuals that can learn TOGETHER and support each other. When I first started, it was the people I surrounded myself with that were the most encouraging, and I’m hoping to help you create that experience as well. The goal here is for me to share what I’ve learned and know about my experiences.


So, here’s the deal:


WHAT & WHEN: Three workshops (these will NOT be classes – they will be hands-on sessions, so bring your cameras!) All sessions will be 6 pm – 8 pm... beginning at my studio in Hopkins and then, weather permitting, moving to an outdoor location. 


  • July 14th - Workshop One: Mechanics of your camera and what to do with all those other modes you never use!!
  • July 28th - Workshop Two: Storytelling and using light to work for you!
  • August 11th - Workshop Three: Post Processing (also known as editing)


WHAT YOU NEED: Any camera will do, but a DSLR is even better. If you’ve just got a point and click, bring that, but you can also use one of my DSLRs to play and learn.


THE DEAL: You can sign up for one, two, or all three… depending on your interest. We will need to have a minimum of 4 in each class.
  • One workshop: $60
  • Two workshops: $95
  • The full meal deal – all three workshops: $125
To reserve your spot, click here and enter the password (be careful – the password is case sensitive): workshop2011
 You will then be able to select your workshop option, add it to your cart and checkout to register for the class.   EMAIL me if you have questions!!  I'd LOVE to see you! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment